Did you know that April 20-24th is National TV Turnoff Week? Being a teacher you would think that I would celebrate this "holiday" every year, but it was news to me that this week is our country's push to moderate tv-watching among kids. I actually heard about it through Cooper's pre-school newsletter and decided that it sounded like a fun challenge. After all, we lived through a 4 month fast from tv (thanks to DISH Network's super efficient scheduling department!), so 5 days couldn't be that bad!
Actually, I have really loved TV Turnoff Week! Cooper and I have had a lot of fun and I've been forced to be creative about the time we spend together after school. Not that tv was a huge part of our lives, but it's not uncommon in our house to be watching American Idol before bed or tuning into cartoons while we get ready in the morning. Are you wondering what we've been doing with all of this "togetherness" away from the couch?
Here are some of the fun things we've already done (and it's only Wednesday!!)
*Played in the driveway with the neighbor kids (I felt like such a mom!)
*Cooper rode his tricycle all the way to the park (and Mommy carried it AND Cooper all the way back home!)*Washed the dishes from dinner by hand in the sink - together!
*Read stories in our pop-up tent
*Played ball in the backyard with Boone
*Pored through old photo albums from back when Cooper was Fabi : )
*Took a long bubble bath
*Broke out some CDs that are "oldies but goodies" & jammed!
*Explored the pond near Cooper's school and discovered turtles, tadpoles, and minnows
Isn't this list inspiring you to turn off your tv, too? There's still 2 more days left, so join the fun and switch off your tv! : )
No comments:
Post a Comment