Cooper and I received an AMAZING early Christmas present from dear friends - a zoo membership! As soon as this wonderful treat arrived in the mail, we packed a lunch, laced up our tennis shoes and hopped in the car. To the zoo!

I love the zoo, but I haven't taken Cooper since he was probably 2 or so - and with good reason. I can still remember the fateful trip. We went on a crowded hot day and the conditions were not ideal for a leisurely stroll among the animals. I was lugging a stroller and a diaper bag of sorts. Also, this was pre-medicine and my little one was all out of sorts. Last time we were there I'm pretty sure we left with kicking and screaming...
So it was wonderful to walk through the zoo this time with an excited and well-behaved four year old. No strollers, no hand holding - just big-kid exploring!

Cooper held the ticket in his hand with an iron grip. I think he remembers the scene from the Polar Express when the child lost his ticket and almost had to -gasp- get off the train. He was NOT going to make that mistake at the zoo. He kept reminding me, "I still have the ticket, Mommy. Don't worry."

I wish you could have seen his expression when we saw these animals locked by the horns. He was horrified. Oh no, they're fighting. Uttered under his breath, that's not very nice... I spent the next ten minutes explaining that it's okay that animals fight sometimes - it's how they eat and survive in the wild.
Cooper's priceless response: Oh, like football players!





Elephants can RUN?! No way!
(Right after this photo was taken, he quickly took a few steps away from the railing!)


I think I can say accurately say that I've never seen Cooper so happy as he was at the zoo. (Which made me pretty happy, too!) He made me smile all day long, watching him skip from exhibit to exhibit and say over and over, "I'm so lucky that you take me to the zoo!" He's struggled so much with several special needs - it's truly AMAZING to see him so successful at enjoying something like the zoo. Normally the big crowds of people, waiting for a turn to see an exhibit, or having to negotiate our route would push him over the edge. This trip reminded me that we're in such a good place with him. I'm so thankful that we can visit the zoo many many more times this year as a family. Thanks G & D - what a special gift!
3 comments:
What a wondrous little person you have - and how amazing that you have each other.
Also: your pictures are always so beautiful - I'm jealous of your skillzzzzz. :)
Simply precious. What a great gift!
Love these expressive photos!
Post a Comment