Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Back To School

This week is one of the most *exciting* of my entire year - back to school! Preparing my classroom, meeting my new kiddos, and starting from the beginning is wonderful and exhausting at the same time. I always forget what the first days of kindergarten are like. I must block them out somehow or I doubt I would subject myself to this "experience" year after year. The best way I can explain kindergarten is like herding cats. Or like a giant game of human whack-a-mole. "Please sit down... Please sit down... You, over there, please stay in your seat... Friend, can you find your seat? Oh, my, chairs are for sitting... Please sit down..."

Oh, but they are cute. Really, really cute. Here's proof:



To be fair, the whole year isn't like this. The kids grow up. They figure out that they can blow their own noses and survive a scrape without a bandaid. They realize that they don't have to announce when they need to go potty and that it's okay to have muddy shoes sometimes. They learn to use scissors without any casualties and get to and from the drinking fountain without a buddy. I have to admit - Kindergarten is just the most wonderful place. Where else can you sing and dance every day? Where else can you color and paint and play every single day? Where else do you learn the most terrific skill in the world - reading?! And for me - in what other profession would I have 20 people in my office every day, telling me how beautiful and smart and wonderful my shoes look? I do have a dream job.

If you see me this week... remind me!!

1 comment:

Hallie said...

Hooray for the first day (and week) of school! I looked at school supplies last week and smiled, thinking of school. You DO have a dream job! Best wishes!