Saturday, January 3, 2009

Merry Christmas!

We had such a wonderful holiday with our family this year. Cooper is getting so big and he can understand more than every before about why we celebrate Christmas. It brings me such joy to watch him learn about Jesus and help us rejoice in His birth!

Our family tradition is to open one present on Christmas Eve (usually/always pajamas for me!). Cooper was thrilled to have a present to open (I don't think he realized that gifts were coming...) He got this adorable little ambulance with mini EMTS and a stretcher - - it occupied him until he could barely keep his eyes open. We spent the night over at my parents' house so we could have the full "Christmas morning" effect and wake up to presents!



Our sweet Boone was our family's "big" gift this year. He is precious and such a blessing to us!




I regret that I wasn't really in the "photo taking mood" at 5am on Christmas morning, so I apologize for the lack of pictures. Cooper got a 3 -story "play house" from Santa (my dad refuses to call it a doll house, although that's what the package says...) He has one at school and the teachers say that he can sit and play forever with it. I was sold and they were right - Cooper loves his house! It came complete with little wooden people and a house full of furniture, which I spent awhile setting up and Cooper spent a longer while rearranging!
As Cooper gets older, I am trying hard to start Christmas traditions that are meaningful and reflect our motivation for celebration - Jesus! In this spirit, this year I gave Cooper just 3 gifts. Honestly, I still felt compelled to buy more or do more or be more creative, but I was constantly reminded my the Holy Spirit that my biggest gift to my son would be the realization that the gift we received on Christmas morning was our Lord and Savior in the form of a baby. I really thought that there would be disappointment and the special day would feel anti-climactic without the mound of gifts to open. But to my surprise, after Cooper came down the stairs and saw his house, he didn't even care about opening any more presents! I let him play while Colin and my parents and I took turns opening our gifts to each other. Intermittently I would ask Cooper if he wanted to open another present and he said "I don't want it, Mommy." or "No more!" What a gift to my heart!
We look forward to another year of God's blessings as He draws us closer to Himself and transforms us to the likeness of Christ our Savior.