Friday, June 27, 2008

Blueberry Picking

One of my favorite childhood traditions was berry picking in the summers when we lived in Oregon. I have the fondest memories of picking marionberries, raspberries, and strawberries (probably eating more than went in the bucket) and taking them home to make all sorts of tasty treats. My parents even had a cobbler contest one year that the kids got to judge. I think dad won (he's the sweet tooth in the family!) but we always had a great time. My parents discovered a family-owned little blueberry farm about 30 minutes from The Woodlands. They've taken Hudson there several times, but this was Cooper's first blueberry picking experience. I was excited for him!!
I should have known that taking a 2 year old to pick blueberries in the heat of the day in June would be an experience at best... He picked up sticks and dirt and worms, but really not too many berries! He was covered in sweat, which caused the dirt to stick to him. But he had a fantastic time! We found that there were many more berries on the undersides of the trees, plus it was nice and shady!

Looks like he found a tart blueberry from the ground - yuck!
After picking blueberries for a while, we were hot and exhausted. I decided that I was going to forgo every "mom rule" that I knew and give my baby a coke. Yes - you heard me - I gave my 2 year old soda! And he LOVED every minute of it! I think he's used to seeing me drink my Diet Coke ( like it's my job!) and he was delighted at the idea that I would let him have one of his own. Now, don't worry - this was actually a Sprite, so it didn't have any caffeine - just tons and tons of sugar and unnatural preservatives. : )




We can't wait to visit the blueberry farms next year!

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Love it! For some more fun on Blueberry picking with toddlers in tow, check out the Siscos' Blog: http://siscofamily.blogspot.com/. Love you Superwoman!

cecilia tinajero said...

i love Fabi's muddy face picture! And, yes, he did look like he enjoyed that coke a little too much!