Sunday, April 17, 2011

Us These Days

It's been forever since I've blogged (which I regret) but it hasn't been due to a lack of things happening around here.

Cooper and I are attending weekly sessions with a therapist who specializes in working with children with histories of trauma (including abuse and neglect). It's become clear as Cooper gets older that we'll have to work hard to help him be successful in some areas. This therapy is a first step and although it's a big commitment, I'm glad to have a resource to help!

This month has also brought big changes in the future of my job. Due to budget cuts in education across the state, next year class sizes are being increased and fewer teachers will be needed in each school. Luckily, my district has not made the decision to eliminate teachers, but many are being shuffled around to different schools. That's me. Next year we'll have 5 kindergarten classes instead of 6 and the teacher with the least number of years with the district is the odd man out. That's me. There's a lot of uncertainty about where I will teach and even when I'll know my assignment! To be honest, this has been a tough time for me as I feel the loss of my school "family" and I'm praying for the next place for both Cooper and me.

Cooper's special ed meeting this month confirmed that he will move on to kindergarten next year (yay!) with the help of an assistant for several hours throughout the day. I'm so sad that he won't be at Galatas, but I am SO very grateful that he and I will be together no matter where we land. Coop has been making amazing progress academically and I really think he will do well. I'm praying for the right teacher and assistant who will support and challenge him in a loving way!

Despite all of these "things" swirling around us, we try to focus on enjoying our time together and being grateful for what we have. And we DO have so much! Here are some shots of us just hanging around in the backyard after school. (Gotta love the self-timer! Thanks Meaghan!)



4 comments:

Hallie said...

I have not been blogging lately, either. Life just continues, whether we blog or not. Thanks for the update and cute pics of you and your little man :)

Unknown said...

Isn't it amazing to actually be in a picture with your child?! Hahaha! You sure have taken a lot of hits lately :( keep us updated on the school/ job business. Know that our family will be praying for yours!! Xoxo

Ginger said...

Love you, love these pics. Praying always and calling soon.

Court said...

I didn't realize the situation with your job. Will definitely be praying for just the right class & school for next year. It's so hard to live in the midst of the unknowns but thankfully God knows and we just have to wait on Him to reveal it to us. Love the pics of the 2 of you!