A special day.
An anniversary.
A family birthday.

Two years ago, on October 20, 2008, Cooper and I became a forever family. He was adopted from foster care after nearly 2 years of waiting. 2 years of hoping and praying and waiting and working to make this little boy my own. JOY doesn't begin to describe how my heart felt and still feels knowing that he is forever my son.

The same judge who oversaw his case in foster care declared us a family. He remarked at what a change he saw in Cooper since he first met him as a 7 month old baby. "I didn't think this child had a chance, but now his eyes just dance. I wouldn't have recognized him if it weren't for the red hair!" I believe so strongly that Cooper and I were placed together purposefully, both for his benefit and my own. I think God knew we needed each other and that together we would make the perfect little family.

Things haven't always been easy and we've walked through many challenges. Life hasn't been how I expected. But God has always been faithful to provide for our needs and give us comfort when we need encouragement. We're surrounded by so many people who love us and support us.
And no matter what, we are a family.

Even from the first day I met you, sweet Cooper, I knew my heart would never be the same. I started loving you right away! I'm so thankful to be your mommy and proud of the boy you are becoming. You are just the love of my life!

Today we celebrate our family's birthday and remember God's goodness when he gave us each other!
5 comments:
What an amazing gift. Happy day, Bates family!
Made me tear up reading this! So neat to see how far you have come. He has gotten so big and is turning into a little man before our eyes. I can't wait to see him and play with him this weekend!!!
Oh my goodness. It is hard to believe it has been two years! Congrats! What a sweet family you are!
So proud of you, Megan. I know it is not easy, but you are displaying the love of Christ, not only to Cooper, but to everyone who comes in contact with you. Congrats on two years!
Happy birthday to the Bates family! I love both of you so much and think of you often even if I don't see you or talk to you much. Im so blessed to have been a part of the early foundational days of your family's birth. :)
Ms. Ceci
Post a Comment