Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Deep Thought

As I was helping my parents clean out their attic (and rescuing my belongings from long ago!) I ran across a box of old photos, letters, and this poem, scribbled on a scrap of notebook paper. I remember copying it from the refrigerator at a home where I babysat as a teenager, thinking that I'd like to keep the words for when I was a mom someday. I think it'll now a permanent fixture on my own fridge.

The Little One Who Follows Me
Author unknown

A careful man I ought to be
A little fellow follows me
I dare not to go astray
For fear he'll go the self-same way

Not once can I escape his eyes
Whatever he sees me do he tries
Like me he says he's going to be
That little one who follows me

I must remember as I go
Through summer's sun and winter's snow
I'm molding for the years to be
That little one who follows me

2 comments:

Hallie said...

Wow. How true...and what a responsibility (& privilege)we have as parents!

iz said...

that's so humbling...mind is i barrow it as a reminder?
thanks m!