Cooper started PPCD (preschool programs for children with disabilities) last week after months and months (AND MONTHS!) of evaluations, appointments, forms, phone calls, and prayers. His Soto's Syndrome has proven to be a challenge for him as he goes to school and learns to play with others. It had become clear that he needed more support than his preschool could offer. Those close to us know what a loooong road this has been! I hesitate to share details about our walk through this journey, but it's important for you to know that our lives are far from perfect and we rely on God's strength (most every minute!) to be a happy and growing family. When I adopted Cooper I knew that he had Soto's Syndrome and I knew he may struggle in some areas. But I didn't care! I loved and still love my precious boy for every unique quality that he has been given. There is no syndrome or disability that could make him less precious to me!
His new program is part of the public school system and will provide a place for him until he starts kindergarten. Hallelujah! No more school-hopping for us! A few reasons to be glad:
1. The school is within walking distance from our home.
2. A school bus can pick up and drop off Cooper at our driveway!
3. The bus comes at just the right time so I can put little man on before rushing off to MY school (which, unfortunately, is NOT anywhere close to walking distance!)
4. Cooper's new teachers have hearts for little ones who struggle like he does. They are trained to work with kids who need extra help and they have every tool and resource at their fingertips. Not to mention that there are 3 teachers and 6 kids!
Cooper could talk about nothing else than riding a REAL school bus. This was a big day!
The joy was short lived, however, when he realized that Mommy was not riding the bus with him. Thank goodness for bus car seats and C's "helper". Oh, how my heart hurts to see his face in this picture. It is just not easy seeing your child struggle!
I'm not going to lie, I almost cried watching that school bus drive away with my baby. But when I called the school to check on him (yes, I am that mother) his teacher reassured me that he got off the bus with a smile on his face and had a happy day.

4 comments:
Praying for your dear one... and for you!
wow, i am soooooooo happy to hear that cooper is getting what he needs and so sad to see his face so sad! but i know he will love the bus soon enough... :)
Oh my, what a sad sad face. I would have cried if I would have been there too! I pray he excels in his new school!!!
megs: what a great update (and answer to prayer!) I think I might have cried too if Sadie was upset on the bus too..and I may be that mother calling the school later as well.
Post a Comment