Sunday, December 13, 2009

Advent

As Cooper grows up and begins to grasp the meaning of Christmas more fully, I want to celebrate the season with much anticipation of Jesus' birthday. This year I was determined to find the perfect advent that focused on Christ and why we celebrate this time of year. There are zillions of advent calendars out there and I couldn't make up my mind about which to make for our family. So I did two!

This advent calendar made from a spool rack and paper-wrapped spools was inspired by a similar advent I saw on justsomethingimade.blogspot.com. She used vintage spools and wrote the clues for her kids to find hidden presents. I adapted mine to show a scripture verse for each night leading up to Christmas Day. (I also spray painted my cheap-o spools red since I couldn't find neat vintage ones)




My second advent calendar was inspired by the "chocolate pocket" advents I remember from my childhood. I wanted an advent that could hang on the back of my hall closet door (since counter space is limited!) and one that could hold tiny treasures that could help retell the story of Christ's birth.

Each of these felt pockets holds a tiny story book that tells part of the Christmas story. Some pockets have little trinkets (like pieces of hay to remind us about the manger or a keychain flashlight to remind us of the bright star)



We've loved making the advent a part of our nightly routine and I think the anticipation of Christmas will make the special day even more wonderful!

1 comment:

The Allen's said...

wait a sec, did you MAKE this advent calendar? if so, can you make us one? if not, can you tell me where you found it? i've been looking and it's just such a huge decision (for me). let's talk soon!