Sunday, March 4, 2012

Rip-Roarin' Rodeo!

Y'all, this is my favorite time of year in Kindergarten! I love everything about our social studies unit on Texas - but especially the RODEO!  The kids dress in their finest cowboy duds and present a rodeo for their parents and friends. Here's my class:


This year was extra-special because my own little buckaroo was rodeo-ing, too!

I HAD to get a picture of his boots and belt - Cooper wouldn't leave Cavender's without them. The moment we walked through the doors and smelled the cowhide, it was love! He picked out his own boots and insisted on having a real cowboy belt buckle for the rodeo. We bought them a size bigger in hopes he could wear them a few more times before he outgrew them. But he LOVES those boots! He comes home from school and slides his feet into them before heading out into the yard to dig for bugs or build forts. I've got me a real Texan on my hands! Yessss!


Cooper's class "rodeo-ed" before mine and I was lucky to be able to sneak out of my class to watch! My principal sent an aide to work with my kiddos while I took photos and cheered like every other mom. Such fun! The kids sang a few songs and danced to the Chicken Dance. I wish you could have seen his little wiggle-wiggle-wiggle... oh my!



Then the cowpokes cheered for their classmates as everyone participated in the stick horse relay and barrel race and the chuck wagon race. 




Of course, the highlight of the rodeo for Cooper was the snack at the end. He probably asked me 4 times about the Texas cookies. Then he asked his teacher another 4 times. Sigh. This kid is going to eat me out of house and home before he hits junior high!


Aren't we cute?!

These are a few of Cooper's buddies - KK and "Anna Kaf-a-rine". I'll allow either to be his bride in 20 years. : )


Sweet Miss Fields - Cooper's teacher! He's loved K6 this year and has made me proud!

It really was a rip-roarin' good time! 

(Check back for pictures from our family trip to the real Houston Rodeo in a few weeks - and I'm sure you'll see those boots showing up in more photos!)

1 comment:

Court said...

yehaw! so stinkin' cute :)