Sunday, March 4, 2012

13.1

So - I did it! 

I trained for - AND FINISHED - a half marathon! 

Aren't you proud? I sure am! Being a rookie runner, I really had no idea what to expect from a big race. But I seriously LOVED it! The Woodlands is such a running community that it felt like the whole town was running this marathon. I ran into co-workers, parents of students, neighbors, and church friends before, during, and after the race. There was so much energy and it was neat running through my hometown (especially because I could gauge how far I had left to run!!)

Dayna and I gave each other the marathon entrance fee for Christmas and we've been running "accountability partners" for a few months now. I did 95% of my training runs on the treadmill (not so much fun!) but it helped knowing that she was going to ask me if I did it! My longest training run was 11 miles, so I was a little (read: A LOT) nervous that I would even be able to drag myself through 13 miles on race day. 

The night before the race, Dayna and I picked up our bibs and packets, bought our "energy beans" and carb loaded at Brio. My parents were AMAZING and hosted a slumber party for Cooper while Dayna and I had dinner together and I got a full night's sleep. Glorious!

And then it was upon us! Race day! Dayna and I ran together at first but split around mile 3 (right after my parents held up traffic by dangling out of their car windows to take photos as we ran - only my family...) 



There was a moment of fear when I broke out on my own - could I make it? But I took a breath and just started to GO. One foot after the other. I let my legs take me and was exhilarated by the crowds of runners and spectators alike. I saw friends and co-workers and even some of my students along the race way. Dayna's mom and grandma cheered with signs and Cooper and my parents did a few more drive-bys. I would have been totally embarrassed that they were making a scene if it weren't for a little red head handing out of the car window with a bunch of freshly picked wildflowers for his momma. Wish I could have had a picture of THAT!

So - fast forward 10 miles or so - I found a few "running buddies" who I affectionately nicknamed Baldy and The Robot - and stayed with them through the end. (Well, truthfully, Baldy made a run for it at mile 12 and I never could catch him...) Regardless, I finished with pride!


We did it! I've officially caught the bug and am already excited about finding another race and maybe training to run the full marathon next year. Crazier things have happened!!

P.S. -
These signs for Elliot along the way kept me smiling. Each one was funnier than the last. This guy obviously has great friends. I didn't really get this particular sign until this morning - - I'm pretty sure I'll be a tough girl minus one toenail before too long. Hope Geoff was right! : )

3 comments:

Court said...

YAY! You did it! So very proud of you....

Ginger said...

Way to go, Hot Mama! Hang that medal on your wall!!

Unknown said...

get out of town!!!!! i'm so impressed! i don't think i could do it...